Friday, March 4, 2011

My Rondy boots!

I did it! I finished my boots for Rondy last night! 

These are by far the most elaborate fur item I've ever made. I already know what I'd change to make them better the next time I make a pair, but overall, though, I'm pretty tickled.
The furs, starting at the knee and working downwards, are: natural dark beaver, tanuki, bleached beaver, red fox, and natural red beaver. The pompoms are natural dark beaver and the toes are otter.

Rather than make a multi-layer leather sole, like the pair I was copying, I took apart a pair of Dearfoams slippers that had a sewn-on rubber sole. I hope the rubber sole will provide more traction than a leather one. When I took the slippers apart, two layers of foam remained with the soles, so I left that in place. I made linings of polar fleece around the calf, with foot uppers made of thick felted wool. The insoles are multi-layered, with heavy New Zealand sheepskin under my feet, two layers of polar fleece/felt laminate, and a layer of headliner foam on the very bottom. Added to the foam I left in when I took the Dearfoams apart, they make for a very cushy platform that's warm and comfortable.

The pair of boots I was copying had a beaded rosette on each shin, where the band of plain suede is, but I couldn't find any I liked. I bought two cross-sections of walrus rib bone to use there, but right before sewing them on I decided I didn't really like them for that purpose and left them off. I'll look for some nice beadwork while we're at Rondy this weekend.

Now, I've got to go finish packing! Woohoooooooooo!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment