Friday, August 14, 2009

Just talkin'

Hi everybody!

It's sort of like what my dad used to say when he'd write me a letter without anything much in it: "I don't have anything to say, but thought I'd better say it before the mailman comes." So this is me, just saying. :^)

It's raining tonight, and the new puppy is overjoyed with it. Which is adorable, don't get me wrong, but trying to get a hyper puppy to go potty in the rain is not much fun. Could be worse though; at least she didn't come back inside and potty. Oh, I spoke too soon.

James was in a fender bender a couple weeks ago, and the guy who backed into him is a plumber/handyman, so Jim is working out a deal with him to put an exhaust fan in the master bathroom instead of paying cash for the repair. The other guy (whose name is also Jim, so I'll just call him "The Other Guy" to keep it from being confusing) came over to see the bathroom tonight and brought his grown daughter with him. The Other Guy and Crystal both like to talk, so we had a long visit and Crystal may come back over tomorrow with her infant son and visit with me some more.

For those who think bears aren't the problem we make them out to be sometimes, Crystal showed me the dent in the roof of her car where a bear laid on it. And there are big bear poops on our land. I haven't seen a bear yet since we got here last month, and I don't want to. The Other Guy only lives about three miles from here, and he says he never lets his kids out to play without at least two dogs running free with them. Read about the two Captain Cook State Park bears here. There are precautions to take, though, and if you're careful, you'll be okay.

At the same time as Jim and I were having our visit, James was plugging himself into the community music scene by accepting an invitation to sit in on a music session at the Senior Center in Soldotna. Not being big on non-Irish music, he didn't know a lot of the songs they played, but he did get to meet other musicians familiar with The Fiddler's Fakebook and the Portland Collections, so there's potential for him to get together with those guys in the future.

Dinner tonight was leftover pot roast made into chili, with a loaf of fresh bread, butter, honey and fireweed jelly. Yummeh. I've also got watermelon rind pickles in the pantry now, too. With the price of watermelons up here, I'm not about to let any of it go to waste!

Well, I suppose I've said enough for tonight and am going to head off to bed in a bit. See you again soon!

5 comments:

  1. Wow about the bear poop. Does it make good fertilizer?

    I am still so very impressed with all you are doing up there. Absolutely amazing.
    I would be lost.
    My Mom had an old old passed down recipe for pumpkin pickle. I used to love that.
    Fall will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim (of the wild ride variety)August 14, 2009 at 1:29:00 PM CDT

    I haven't seen any "bear skat fertilizer" at Home Depot. Could be a problem collecting it, though, not so much that it isn't useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, gonna Google pumpkin pickle recipes. That sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it does! it's really a good idea too! usually pumpkins just get thrown away after their decorating days are done, and it's a departure from the ordinary pumpkin pie, or bread, or pumpkin cookies! Let me know how it turns out if you can find a recipe, K? Love you guys lots and lots!! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watermelon rind pickles sounds good but bet have not had them many years..Lived in Kansas in the 1930's and always had them there..Colorado is getting coolish with rain today..Stan and Mom

    ReplyDelete