Monday, December 16, 2013

Week Six Meals


We're three quarters of the way through with our Alaska Food Experiment! Wow, that went fast! Here's what we ate:

Sunday, December 8:
Breakfast - unless otherwise noted, breakfast is eggs fried in butter
Lunch - unless otherwise noted, lunch is leftovers
Supper - bunless sloppy joes and baked potatoes

Monday, December 9:
Supper - leftovers

Tuesday, December 10:
Supper - Mexican turkey soup with monterrey jack fricos

Wednesday, December 11:
Lunch - pork chops and fermented mixed veggies
Supper - pork ribs, beet greens, fried potatoes

Thursday December 12:
Supper - "zoodles", sausage spaghetti sauce

Friday December 13:
Supper - canned moose, beet greens, potato chips

Saturday December 14:
Breakfast - bacon and eggs
Supper - roast chicken, roast potato, cabbage and carrot stir-fry, spiced trail apples

Snacks - monterrey jack cheese, pickles

Here's where it came from:
Apples - Soldotna
Barley flour - Delta Junction
Beef - Homer
Beet greens - Soldotna
Butter- homemade
Cabbage - Soldotna
Carrots - Palmer
Cauliflower - Soldotna
Cheese - homemade
Chicken - Funny River
Cucumbers - grocery store's Alaska Grown section
Eggs - homegrown and supplemented with eggs from the feed store
Lard - home rendered
Moose - outside Fairbanks
Pork - Funny River
Potatoes - Sutton
Tomatoes - Soldotna
Turkey - Funny River
Zucchini - Soldotna

This week I opened a slightly less than two month old monterrey jack cheese that I made from some skim milk left after spinning out cream. It was my best cheese yet! AND I found a good use for the skim milk that Jim won't dream of actually drinking. It melts so well, I grated it and made fricos, and they were good, no matter that frico is best made from a harder cheese.

I've lost just over 10 pounds, and my jeans are starting to get loose. Yay! I'm not quite ready for a smaller size jeans yet, but it won't be long, I think.

And now... confession time. Chocolate was eaten this week. Yes, I did. It was a very stressful week for both Jim and me at work, and I am a long-time stress eater. I got into some chocolate I bought for Christmas gifts and shared a candy bar with Jim. I did take the time to sit down and do nothing but concentrate on the pleasure of having the treat, and I enjoyed it a lot, but the whole point of the exercise was to feel better from the stress - - and it didn't help that. Note to self:  stress eating doesn't eliminate the stress. Next time, eat the treat because you want to have a treat, not because you want it to make all the world's problems go away.

Spiced trail apples

No comments:

Post a Comment