Friday, February 26, 2010

More moose and stuff


We've got more snow! After a whole week last week of temperatures in the 40s during the day (melting the old snow) and nighttime temperatures in the 20s (refreezing it), we've got fresh powdery snow on top of several inches of ice.  Oh yeah, good times. The main roads like the highway and Holt-Lamplight are pretty clear, but our residential roads are treacherous.

(I love the word "treacherous." I can't help but think of Frau Blucher when I hear it. But I digress...)

Moose have been particularly plentiful in our yard lately.  Here's one, leisurely strolling across our lake in the morning. I don't know if it's the same one or not, but a lone moose went back and forth across the lake several times.

This moose spent a large portion of her day in our yard, two mornings ago. She's between our house and Brad's, considering going down the slope to the lake to escape Jim's intrusion on her privacy. Instead, she continued through the back yard and into the wooded area on the other side of the house, where she stayed for quite a long time, right where Moya could watch her best.

Oh, how Moya wanted that moose. She kept her eye on it as best she could, going from window to window to watch all that free-range food wander around the house eating our bushes. Once it settled into the woods, she pretty much stayed in her windowsill, keeping vigil.
She's watching the moose in this pic, but the moose is too far to the left to be in the view of the camera.

Tomorrow morning, Jim and I will take all three dogs to the kennel in Sterling on our way to Anchorage for two days at the Rondy. I'm so excited. I'll let you know how the weekend goes!

3 comments:

  1. Awwww, they all look so cute!!! I feel kinda bad for the lonely moose on the lake though. Looks lost :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was the link you were looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA1XRLEKmlg&feature=related

    ReplyDelete