Sunday, January 5, 2014

Week Nine Meals


This week sees us reach our original goal of two months on our Alaska Food Experiment! Here's what we ate:

Sunday, December 29:
Breakfast - unless otherwise noted, breakfast is eggs fried in butter
Lunch - unless otherwise noted, lunch is leftovers
Supper - Dinner out for James' birthday

Monday, December 30:
Supper - chicken-fried moose steak, edible pod peas, hash browns

Tuesday, December 31:
Supper - steak, cheesy bacon baked potatoes, beet greens

And although New Year's Eve was the last "official" day of the Experiment, we've decided to go on until we run out of local veggies.

Wednesday, January 1:
Breakfast - bacon and eggs
Lunch - chicken broth soup with napa cabbage, carrot, and egg, with bacon
Supper - steak "stir fry" with potatoes, carrots, garlic slices and beet greens

Thursday, January 2:
Supper - steak, cabbage, edible pod peas

Friday, January 3:
Supper - pork chops, edible pod peas

Saturday, January 4:
Supper - bbq beef ribs, homemade potato chips, edible pod peas

Snacks: honey candy, dehydrated zucchini slices, cheese, potato chips

Here's where it came from:
Beef - Homer
Cabbage - Soldotna
Carrots - Palmer
Cheese - homemade
Chicken - Funny River
Edible pod peas - Soldotna
Eggs - home grown
Garlic - Nikiski
Moose - outside Fairbanks
Pork - Funny River
Potatoes - Sutton
Tomatoes - Soldotna

James' birthday was on Sunday, and we took him out for upscale pizza and to the movies. It was very good food and a fun time. Sometimes it's nice to take a vacation from strict eating, but it's also good to go back to it when the party is over. Between Christmas treats and dinner out, I put back on some of the weight I'd lost. Now that I know how to get it back off, though, I'll lose it again and hopefully lose more besides.

On New Year's Day, I decided I wanted some candy, so James and I made Honey & Cream Taffy (recipe here). Well, it would have been taffy if I hadn't taken my eyes off of it for a second and let the temperature go past soft crack stage to hard crack stage, and then forgot to add the baking soda. It did make a nice (albeit ever-so-slightly-scorched) hard candy. James and I each pulled some of the hot candy, but his got cold before mine did, so I managed a lighter color. Next time I make this, and I definitely will, I won't be so easily distracted and will make a nice, soft candy!

Honey & Cream Candy

A few minutes ago, I counted up the frozen Alaska veggies that we have on hand, and there are six baggies left. That doesn't count the potatoes and carrots, or the dehydrated veggies, so I'm thinking we can do another week pretty easily. As you might have guessed from the menu of this past week, we had a lot of edible pod peas left! We only have one or two bags of them now, though. The next few days' meals will be interesting to eat as we clean out the odds and ends from the freezers! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment